Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Story Telling For You - Chapter Six - Smadge This

The Army had made Smadge wise 
in the way of people who had agenda’s, 
he’d seen officer after officer come 
in mellow and go out full blown ass kisser; 
while he found it disgusting, he also understood it.
“After you get down to it,” he thought, 
“it’s not that you kiss it, it’s who’s your kissin’.”  
Smadge was getting a little cynical, and he realized 
his internal dialogue was more cynical in the morning 
for some reason, maybe a day hadn’t gotten into it to 
mellow all those thoughts?  The cell buzzed.
“Hello, Jeff here,”
“Love the way you answer that phone man,”
“Hi Gene,”
“Yeah I know, you love a healthy greeting,”
They never tired of it.  “And what can I do for you young lady,”  it was the friendly way that age between them didn’t become an issue, although lately, it had become somewhat of one, they weren’t young but they weren’t old.  They both knew that all this “60 is the new 40,” crapp was for the birds.
“Chuck’s idea,”  “oh that,”  “yeah, that,” “well Gene we’ve been all over it, I’m not changin’ my mind.”
“What if I were to tell you that someone else is thinking along the same lines as Chuck?”
“I’d say you were imagining things.”
“What if I told you that I’d heard them talking about it.”
“I’d say you were imagining things.”
“What if I told you that I knew who they were and that I was going to go talk with them about what I’d heard them talking about to see if I was right?”
“I’d say you were crossin’ lines you don’t wanna cross, tell me you’re kiddin’ right?”
“If I could turn back time,” she’d forgotten who sung it, thought it might be Cher, after  Sunny became a Senator; but she just loved the idea, “smadge you can’t undo some things you hear, ya know?” 
He knew, and it wasn’t what he wanted to hear, he was starting to suspect where this was going.
“Should I say no now and save us some minutes?”
“You aren’t going to say no, and you know it.”
“I know no such thing.”
“You love me, you…”
“Love’s got nothing to do with this, Chuck’s lost his mind and he’s takin’ yours with it…”
“…and you know you don’t want me in danger, without you being there…”
“Which is why you shouldn’t listen to him, I could just brain his butt…”
“…because you’d feel lousy if something happened to me…”
“and why in the world,” his voice went up an octave,”would you, a beautiful…”
“…not that anything is going to, but…”
“…gorgeous, attractive and smart woman, listen to him.”
“…so you comin’ with me?”
“What choice do I have?”

No comments:

Post a Comment